Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Misspeaking vs Lying

Misspeaking: The rich (wo)man's lie.

Wow. This reminds me of that whole "mistakes were made" vs "I screwed up" debate back in my Power and Politics class (the equivalence of Poli Sci 101 at any "normal" university).

So Hillary says that she "misspoke" about the whole dodging bullets in Bosnia ordeal.

Here's the lie misstatement:

"I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base."


Here's the cover-up:

"Now let me tell you what I can remember, OK -- because what I was told was that we had to land a certain way and move quickly because of the threat of sniper fire. So I misspoke -- I didn't say that in my book or other times but if I said something that made it seem as though there was actual fire -- that's not what I was told." (thanks to CNN)

Here's what she's deduced:

"I say a lot of things -- millions of words a day -- so if I misspoke, that was just a misstatement."

Substitute the word misstatement for lie, and Hillary paints a different picture. (Plus, I'm sure she tells thousands of lies a day with those millions of words she uses.)

This sort of "misspeaking" (which I will refer to from this point on as lying or bullshit) has been perpetuated in the HRC campaign incessantly. She's been lying about many things involving her experience, and I think this is a clear example. Never did I believe that the former First Lady would have been endangered to that degree, and I find the fact that she thought the average American would believe that bullshit to be not only offensive, but degrading. Really, Hillary? You think we're that dumb?

Maybe I'm the only one that sees the difference between her original statement and her retraction. Hopefully, this is not the case.

I would be offended if I actually did experience what Hillary Clinton claims to have experienced. Where does she get off making up lies, trying to sound courageous, while REAL people were encountering those very scenarios?


I give her FIVE out of FIVE Nixons on this lie.

3 comments:

Vigilante said...

Yeah, a little honesty goes a long way, these days. Even for the current governor of N.Y. I'm pulling for that dude!

Vigilante said...

Help me a little with this, BYF:

What's the difference between Christians and Democrats?

Christians are forgiven; Democrats are honest.

I'd rather be honest than forgiven.


This needs a little work, doesn't it?

Utah Savage said...

"So....? I misspoke."
Remind you of anyone?