Tuesday, April 1, 2008

My Evolving Views of Illegal Immigration

I had the opportunity to screen a wonderful film last night at the AFI Silver Theatre. It was called The Visitor, and was written and directed by a guy I immediately recognized as the prick journalist on The Wire, Tom McCarthy.

The acting in the film was superb, and it was a topic I hadn't seen much film on- immigration. Yes, I've seen immigration films, human trafficking films, etc. (see Maria Llena de Gracia (Maria Full of Grace)); however, this touched on a separate issue that I personally have not heard much about, and that is detention centers.

Before the screening began, we heard a brief introduction by a woman from the Center for American Progress, and then a short lecture on immigration by a woman from Amnesty International. (I know, we Washington suburbanites have access to so many organizations, think tanks, officials, etc- gotta love it.) I have to be honest- I really didn't know much of anything about detention centers before the film. Through the Q&A session following the film, I learned more about them, and have decided to do a bit of side research (while I'm supposed to be doing important research presently) on these detention centers. There are many organizations that address this issue, though the issue still has not fallen into mainstream media (of COURSE). I'd like to open up discussion on detention centers and the rights of illegal immigrants.

(Does anyone know what happens after you get deported?)


I must also add that I have a newly developed crush on one of the main actors in the film, Haaz Sleiman, who I got to see in person at the screening, which confirmed my crush.

1 comment:

Utah Savage said...

I'll be watching for this film. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I saw Stop Loss over the weekend and was very moved by this film.