Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sometimes, It's Best to be Racist Among Friends, Mr. Farr

I always find it funny when people make racist comments and think that others will laugh. The best part is when the people not only forget to laugh, but they gasp in horror instead. Never will I advocate racism, because I feel it is disgusting and odious; however, sometimes it's fun to joke with friends about taboo topics such as race, as long as it's not in a hurtful way.

What William R. Farr decided to do might have worked if he was just chilling with his racist buddies, but unfortunately, as the Rocky Mountain News reports, that was not the case:
William R. Farr was pretending to read telegrams congratulating this year's award recipient, University of Colorado President Hank Brown, when he pulled out a piece of paper and said, "I have a telegram from the White House."

Then he added, "They're going to have to change the name of that building if Obama's elected."

Now, admit it: If it had been under different circumstances, the audience members might have laughed instead of "gasping." They might have even gone home and repeated the joke to their friends. Maybe we're the problem. Couldn't Farr have been poking fun at the Bush Administration saying that they were racist? (I doubt it, but anything is possible.)

In a presidential race where gender, race, and even religion seem to be the focus more so than the candidates' platforms sometimes, are we being too sensitive, too politically correct, or have we simply lost our sense of humor?

Read the Article for Yourself: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jan/17/joke-leaves-em-gasping/

1 comment:

Vigilante said...

Every time I see a story like this coming from Colorado, I have to look behind the headlines to see if it comes from my home town, holier-than-your-town, Colorado Springs. I see that it didn't. I'm not relieved. It's the same Republican-type joke I have heard all my life. There's a lot of work to be done.