Friday, January 25, 2008

Conservatives vs Liberals

I saw a bumper sticker today that said "What exactly are conservatives conserving?" Thought it was interesting. Plus it was green...

I've been irritated by all of this negative liberal backlash. I was just a tot during the Reagan era, so maybe I'm just unfamiliar, or just noticing it more now. Walking through the politics section of Barnes & Nobles doesn't help, what with the slew of Ann Coulter and other conservative bull on the shelves.


I went on Merriam-Webster online to look up the word liberal, and I couldn't find anything negative in the definition. What's funner is that, next to the definition of liberal was a picture of the polar opposite of a liberal. In fact, his picture should have had a red circle with a slash through it to represent "No Liberalism."


This is the snapshot I took of the definition of liberal. (I know that this is not the same as the political term exactly, but I will go into that later on.


Is it a bad thing to be "marked by generosity" or "openhanded"?


It's funny that "lacking moral restraint" is an antiquated definition for "liberal."


Still having trouble finding something negative...




I absolutely have to put this other screen shot I got from the same dicitionary entry. It's almost like M-W is sending subliminal messages:






I think that the simple answer to this question in "NO."







So I pulled up M-W's definition of liberalISM, and here is what I came up with:






















Once again, I'm having trouble coming up with something
negative here. So why is there so much hatred towards liberals?
Because we believe in "progress, the essential goodness of the
human race, and the autonomy of the individual and standing
for the protection of political and civil liberties?" Seems absurd
to me. I'm going to challenge my fellow liberals to send me
definitions by conservatives or "moderates" so that we can
compare the difference in opinion.



No comments: