Friday, October 3, 2008

Quote of the Week

I really enjoyed reading this comment on Eugene Robinson's quick take on the "debate" last night:

"The kindhearted part of me is relieved that Palin didn't look like a fool. Whatever your political inclinations, it's painful to watch someone humiliate herself on national TV. On the other hand, we have to be thoughtful voters who put the good of the country first. I'm one of those rare people who listen more to the thought conveyed than the style of presentation, and in this regard, I found Palin to exhibit the height of arrogance in refusing to answer questions put to her, moreso in being proud of it. She wants to regurgitate her talking points directly to the American people regardless of what they (we) are really looking for. Either she doesn't know the answer or she doesn't care, either way we have another George W. Bush.

Look at it this way. I'm not an accomplished journalist with a national TV show. I'm not Gwen Ifill. I couldn't be there to ask Biden and Palin my questions. But Gwen Ifill was there representing me. If Palin can't be bothered to answer Gwen Ifill's questions, why should I think she would answer mine or even care about me, one of the American people she supposedly wants to speak directly to? I think Palin's elitist attitude (I'm too good for your questions) bespeaks a serious character flaw and an unwillingness to face truth, again something we've seen in the current regime.

Compared to her arrogance, Palin's Afghanistan blunder didn't bother me nealy as much, though there once again was the boldface assertion of something contrary to fact. Is Palin just ignorant or is she determined to lie her way to the White House?

I have less to say about Biden, largely because I expected more of him, and he handily delivered. He got in the same sort of good punches Obama did in the first debate, hammering McCain was wrong, Obama or I was right, I haven't heard any difference between McCain and Bush. The most gut level connection I felt to either candidate was when Biden choked up talking about one of his sons. At that point I choked up too, and my heart said "this guy is like me." Biden is not some cartoon character playing folksy while spouting canned lines, he's one of us, a thoughtful guy who respects facts, seeks truth, and loves his family and country, though he also cared enough about us and our intelligence to prepare thoroughly for the debate."

No comments: