Monday, September 8, 2008

Holy Apocalypse Batman!

After reading this article on CNN, I realized that I did none of the things I planned to do before dying (which, after reading the article, leads me to believe that it may be on or around this Wednesday). I know one thing... my team better win their first and last match today!

So, yeah. Pretty disturbing. I particularly love this quote from the article:

"You're talking about such incredible power inside both the accelerator and detectors that you never really know until you turn it all on what's going to happen," he said.
How comforting! I can take a few guesses.

  1. I will turn to dust.
  2. You will turn to dust.
  3. The Earth will turn to dust.
I really don't understand why this experiment is necessary. As one person pointed out, "We still don't get it. Millions of people living in poverty, babies dying from preventable diseases. And we spend $9 Billion to learn more about the Big Bang? Shame on us - we deserve to be swallowed by a black hole."

I concur.

Really, is this what we're all about these days? Trying to disprove religion? Last time I checked, humans didn't exist immediately after this alleged Big Bang. What makes us think we'll exist after this loony experiment? Why don't we try to put more money into research that is actually pertinent these days. I dunno, things such as ending the genocide in Sudan (which people thought ended when the Olympics started), finding the cure for cancer, educating people on HIV/AIDS, not electing Republicans -- these are things that matter!

I'd like to see what others think. Comments?

3 comments:

Kentucky Rain said...

This is about exploration not exploitation. It is about landing the first man on the moon, or sending a lander to Mars or the Hubble telescope into outer space to observe the universe around us. It is about man's need to understand his world. We cannot and must not allow ourselves to stagnate.

Unknown said...

I think human beings are just naturally selfish, everybody have that "me first" mentality.
Props to people that choose the alternative

EmperorChow (Peter Chow) said...

you know what? I tried to write like 6 different things, all very hateful toward the current state of our nation. However they all ended up being ramblings that can't really end, so I'll just congratulate you on 100 post!