Friday, August 8, 2008

A True Must-Not See!!

I'm disappointed in Rotten Tomatoes.
I'm disappointed in everyone who reviewed the film.
And most of all, I'm disappointed in myself for wasting over 90 minutes of my life last night.


So last night, I had a lovely evening. Walked around Downtown Silver Spring. Went to dinner at Taste of Morocco. And to cap off what was a wonderful time, we headed to the AFI Silver Theatre (which, those of you who read my blog often enough might recognize as my favorite theater). I wasn't particularly interested in seeing Brideshead Revisited, and had read RAVING reviews about My Winnipeg. Little did we know that the powers that be in the film industry were about to play a wretched joke on us...

The movie started out quite dull. The narrator sounded less than enthused about the story he was telling, and seemed more enthusiastic about blabbering through the entire film about nonsense. Throughout the film, I kept telling myself "it's going to get better." I tried to stay alert through the entire film, that way, when the good stuff finally came, I wouldn't miss it (and I must admit that this was quite a daunting task after a glass of good Moroccan wine). I didn't fail. The director did.

I mean, honestly, there were a couple of funny parts of the film (when I say a couple, I literally mean TWO), but they were too close to the beginning of the film to keep anyone interested in the film.

The movie was flat out weird. When it ended, nobody left their seat. You could smell the confusion in the room. I just wanted to shout out "WHAT THE ****?!?!!" and I think the other people in the theater did as well.

When it was all said and done, I don't even know if I think the movie was bad. It was just weird. It was too weird to tell. Maybe the film went over my head, and the heads of everyone else in the theater. Maybe it was a ruse. Either way, it is definitely going down in my Top 5 Weirdest Movies (one of the weirdest was the one with Cameron Diaz and some other folks where they invited people over to dinner, killed them, buried them in the backyard, and grew tomatoes over their graves).

Has anyone else seen any weird movies lately? Or maybe movies worth watching? (The last movie I saw at the Silver Theatre was Mongol, and it was excellent!)

1 comment:

Utah Savage said...

The last movie I saw was Mongol and I loved it. Can't wait for the next two in the series.

My dad worked for a blood bank when i was a kid. He used to bring "spoiled" blood home and use it to fertilize the garden. It was frightening to see how those plants grew. Monstrous tomatoes.